It’s 2019 and Cannabis is on everyone’s mind. Due to much misinformation about Cannabis, we felt compelled to provide you with a short list of common cannabis terms and concepts related to the cannabis industry. If you are going to jump in the conversation, make sure you are using the right terminology. Here are the top 5 terms we believe you need to know when discussing Cannabis.
1) Cannabis – word used in current government literature, referring to a family of plants. Frequently used interchangeably with the word “marijuana”
2) Strain – names used to identify certain varieties of cannabis plant, often combining the lineage of the parent in the name. Strains fall into 2 primary categories: Indica and Sativa
3) Hemp – Raw material that is extracted from the stalks of the cannabis plant and is a member of the Cannabis Sativa families. Its plant fibers are so strong and versatile and are used to make a variety of other strong and sustainable materials. Unlike it’s counterpart, hemp is traditionally low or lacking in THC yet high in CBD.
4) Full Spectrum – refers to the total compound of a plant beyond isolating individual components.
5) Cannabinoids – compounds that influence cell receptors in the brain and body and change how cells behave:
a) CBD (Cannabidiol) – The second most common chemical compound found in cannabis. CBD is considered to have a wide scope of medical applications. It has low psychoactive effects and is used as treatment for various medical conditions.
b) THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) – The principal psychoactive compound (or cannabinoid) of cannabis.
The list does not include EVERY term related to the industry, but we believe this to be a great start for those that wish to know more. Subscribe to receive more blog and newsletter updates informing you with up to date topics of the cannabis industry.